Friday, April 27, 2012

Sweet words

Todau was a great day!  I slept almost through the night (hallelujah!!), had lunch with a dear friend and her super cute baby girl, got my radiation treatment (easy peasy), and spent the rest of the day cleaning up, taking a nap, and watching shows.  My leg is definitely feeling a little better every day.  There was even about a half hour this morning when I actually forgot that I had a leg problem!  Of course it pretty much sucked when I remembered I have cancer, but those 30 minutes were glorious.  A glimpse of what life will be when all of this is over.

My wonderful, incredibly encouraging, and bursting with love mother-in-law is doing some sort of mysterious project for me and asked if I could send her some verses that I love.  I have a ton, but I was gravitating more toward the healing/response to illness verses, I can't imagine why.  This was the list I came up with:
Psalm 51:10-12
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and RENEW A STEADFAST SPIRIT WITHIN ME. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and GRANT ME A WILLING SPIRIT, TO SUSTAIN ME.
Psalm 30:11-12
You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
Jeremiah 31:34
I have loved you with and everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness. I WILL BUILD YOU UP AGAIN.
1 Peter 5:10
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you STRONG, FIRM, and STEADFAST.
1 Corinthians 7:17 (message)
And don't be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God's place for you. Live and obey and love and believe right there.  *this is one of my all-time favorites*

Just taking the time to look for these were a blessing to me.  I was wondering if any of you had verses that might be encouraging that you cold send my way.  Or for my beautiful and thoughtful friends that think the Bible's kind of silly, any words of wisdom or quotes that may bring me up a notch on a difficult day.  One request, please omit Romans 8:28, it's a little pet peeve of ours.  Thanks :)

8 comments:

  1. ...for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Phillippians 4:11

    I always here alot about this chapter of Phillipians but for whatever reason I always looked over this verse and have recently become reacquainted with it. While its really reassuring to know that all things are possible with Christ, the power of the peace that Paul must have had in order to write this leaves me speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll bite. Why not Romans 8:28?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing against Romans 8:28, we just found it to be the go-to verse for a lot of our friends that just kind of want to put a band-aid on my cancer and have everything be ok. We're just kind of tired of hearing it.

      Delete
  3. If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like hell. ~Lance Armstrong

    Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway. ~Emory Austin *** reminds me of you <3

    "Now is now, and it will never be again." - Julie's Mom

    "When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something's suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful." Barbara Bloom

    "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." Eleanor Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romans 5:3-5 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

    1 Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

    You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Psalm 103:2-5 Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

    YOU ARE LOVED! Penny Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a one of "those" - a born again Christian - PTL and there are scads of wonderful Bible verses. But being a senior citizen, I have also found that there are some good words in "the world"...to wit...the Chinese word for "crisis" is formed from 2 characters...one for danger...the other for OPPORTUNITY.
    Dear Naomi, may you seek and find opportunity in this life event and all others to come your way. Love from Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Naomi,
    I work at ECS. I don't think we've ever actually met. One of my favorite verses and one that I keep coming back to while I deal with my own medical crap is Matt 6:34- So do not worry about tomorrow,for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

    Hope it helps. You're in my prayers

    Erin Layton

    ReplyDelete