Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cancer is NOT my identity

I think one of my biggest struggles since I've known about having cancer is worrying that it will become who I am to people.  I really like appearing strong, independent, and in control - actually, I think most people do.  I hate the idea of becoming this victim, someone who can't take care of herself, someone that needs to rely on others to do simple tasks, someone who has cancer.  I have already had to surrender my "manager" title at work because I can't carry things or be particularly helpful while on crutches.  So I sit in the back answering phones, which I am incredibly thankful for, but I'm frustrated that I can't do more.  That my body is limiting me, even though I have the knowledge and aptitude and desire to get out there and "really" contribute. 

I poke fun at my husband for being the crutch nazi, but he really doesn't have a choice.  Even though I know I'm not supposed to put any weight on my leg and I'll likely pay for it later, I try to get by without them, especially at home.  I don't want to have to ask him to get me water or do my laundry.  I want to do it myself.  I'm ridiculously stubborn.  My husband should get a large trophy for simply remaining in my presence for so many hours a day.    

When I first found out, my brother and soon to be sister in law (I love you Jeffy and Laura!!!) sent me a ton of helpful and sensitive books on cancer, chock full of useful information.  When I opened the first one, I threw it on the floor in a rage.  I don't want books on cancer!  I want books on making stuffed animals and pretty paint colors and how to be a leader and Downton Abbey and really anything other than cancer.  People with cancer read books about cancer and I wasn't ready to be one of those people.  Heck, I'm still not ready.  It's like buying books for school - you would never in a million years own a copy of the Organic Chemistry textbook if you didn't have to take the class to graduate.  I just don't want to identify with cancer so closely, so intimately.  Getting the port in has been sucky.  I now have something implanted under my skin (Danny calls me his little Cylon) that undeniably screams CANCER.  Losing my hair will be another big tip-off.  Although it may help those out who currently see me on crutches and unabashedly ask "Did you twist your ankle honey?"  No sir, I have cancer in my leg.  I bet now you feel dumb.

Anyway, the point of the story is, I don't want cancer to become my identity.  I don't want people to look at me and think "poor girl with cancer".  And then I stumbled upon a call to worship I wrote for my church near the end of last year and it somehow, perfectly, answered all of my doubts.  Here it is:

"I believe God is my identity.

I was fat when I was young.  Through 4th, 5th, and 6th grade, I was the big nerdy girl who always sat in the corner alone.  Even when I got older, joined some sports, lost the baby weight, and made friends, I often still saw myself as this kind of pathetic, majorly awkward outsider.  It kept me bound up in the lie that I would never be accepted and convinced me that I had to be fake to get others to like me.

I grew older and found other things to identify with.  As soon as I could charm a guy into dating me, I did, and I could finally call myself a girlfriend.  Being a girlfriend meant that I was valued, I was sexy, and I mattered to someone.  It made me happy and confident; it also made me clingy and fearful all of the time.  What if he broke up with me?  What if he found out what I was really like?  If I wasn’t a girlfriend, who was I? 

I didn’t always identify with negative images.  I went to Vanderbilt University and found out that being smart was actually a good thing.  I jumped at the chance to start telling people I was now an intellect.  This label told others that I had something to contribute and I finally felt like I belonged.  But pride crept in and I became a bully trying to prove to others that I was right and they were wrong.

After Vanderbilt, I joined the Navy and the identity was easy to define.  I was an American, an Officer, a true patriot.  I knew that if nothing else, I was serving my country; I was doing my duty.  I was strong and proud.  I was doing something that so many others respected.  But I was lonely, exhausted, and not myself.

Standing here today I can tell you that I am no longer obese or view myself as pathetic.  All of those boyfriends in high school and college were losers.  I no longer attend Vanderbilt and very few people know or care about my IQ.  And I don’t get to wear a Navy uniform anymore.  In fact, all of those things that were once my identity have passed away.  All of those things that made me feel worthy, purposeful, and accepted no longer apply.  But one has remained - Christ.

Ephesians 1:11 says It’s in Christ we find out who we are and what we are living for.  Galatians 3:27 that all of us who are baptized into Christ have clothed ourselves with Christ.  2 Corinthians 5:15 says He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

I am a woman, a daughter, a sister, and a wife.  I am a veteran, a Yankie, and a college graduate.  I have been both the victim and the criminal.  I have two tattoos and I’m 28 years old.  I am unemployed, incredibly organized, and come from a split family. I’m a member of Big Spring Church of Christ.  

But these things DO NOT define me.

I belong to Christ.  I am Abraham’s seed.  I am an heir to the kingdom.  I am light in this dark world.  I am free.  I can approach the throne of the Most High with confidence.  I have been chosen.  I am a disciple of Christ.  This is my identity.  And THROUGH Christ we can be all things to all people."

I could write another section in there now.  I would be about that time in my life when I got cancer and I felt sick and my hair fell out.  And everything about my appearance would confirm that I was a victim of a horrible disease.  When all of the people I loved the most would think of me under the umbrella of cancer.  But this will NOT define me and it will NOT have the last word.  My God is bigger than cancer and He is the only thing I will choose to identify with.  I pray you will help me seek out a healthy balance between dealing with cancer in a real way and finding peace in my Lord, no matter what the cancer does. 

10 comments:

  1. It's almost hard to believe the cute little girl who shared snacks when I came home from school has turned into such an amazing woman. You define you. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Nomi, That was absolutely PERFECT! You are right you are many things but none of them are cancer;
    A worshipper
    More than a conquerer
    The delight of your Heavenly Father
    Holy and righteous (because of the Blood of Christ)
    Free (and don't forget it)
    Also, the green of Spring
    The list could go on forever!
    Love you girl,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have your anchor within your beliefs, what a gift that is.
    We are here reading and walking this path along side you.
    Love you sister. <3
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year, I heard a woman speak at a woman's conference. She was in remission from breast cancer. She spoke about that season in her life. She too was adamant that it wouldn't become her identity. She would say "I have been diagnosed" not "I have".
    Still praying for complete healing. For grace. Comfort. Peace. Love. Mercy. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. So THAT explains it! You bullied me into loving you and desiring your friendship in college! Here I was thinking I actually liked you. Silly me.

    Hahaha just kidding. No such luck. You don't get rid of former LT Coops that easily. I really like this blog. You are a very good writer....but that is NOT your identity. You are a child of God and no other title is worth having. Love ya!

    V/R
    Coops

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for you Naomi! Are you aware of the little scooters available for non-weight bearing? Don't know if it would work for you but might be worth exploring and you could run into people who tick you off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Naomi,
    Keeping you in constant prayer before our Heavenly Father. You may see some encouraging words from folks you don't know, but who are women of my Bible study, wonderful Christian women and sisters in Christ, who have also added you to their prayer lists. (I know, terrible run-on sentence!)
    Love from Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support Aunt Barbara! I am so thankful for all of the kind words I get from people I know and don't know! We just received your package in the mail the other day - thank you so much. It means a lot to me that you are so willing to embrace me into the family and give me such a treasured heirloom. Thank you thank you thank you - we will keep it safe.

      Delete
  8. Naomi, I am grateful to read your words. I too am dealing with cancer, for the 4th time. The thing I appreciate most and identify with most is what you say about not wanting to identify yourself as a cancer patient, etc. In so doing, somehow your identify gets wrapped up in that world, a world no one wants to be a part of, I can assure you. Even at this 4th go round, I still struggle with that. I too, am Abraham's seed and am ever grateful for the identify I have in Christ which sustained me before and will sustain me this time as I maneuver the treacherous road of what may come. Maybe I will begin to blog too. That is a good outlet for putting down your thoughts and feelings about the experience. Since we never know the road that we may travel, I am encouraged to know that there are others out there who throw books about cancer across the room, think about what chemo may do to their hair, feel anger at a port in their body and generally just traverse the road of cancer. God bless you.. BTW a friend send me the link to your blog and she is a dear. I pray for your journey and that it be one that you and your family will ultimately be blessed by in the long run and I pray that God blesses your continued writing about your experiences. God is a good God and loving towards all He has made, even if sometimes it doesn't "feel" like it. He is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your response Pam. I can not imagine how difficult it must be to face this monster 4 times. You have already conquered so much and I hate that you are asked to do it again. You must be an incredibly brave person. I definitely support starting a blog - it has been a wonderful place for me to put my thoughts down on paper and get all sorts of support from a number of different people (including you!) I pray that this journey be gentle on you.

      Delete