Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Ellen show request!

Today I have been a total loser.  I've done almost absolutely nothing.  Seriously.  Slept on and off all night, got up with Danny at around 10, ate half of some pancakes that our incredible friends Jim and Scott dropped off for us (if you don't have friends that drop by on Saturday mornings with plates of pancakes, you NEED to get some), and went back to sleep on the couch until 3pm.  I don't know what the heck's wrong with me.  Oh right, I have cancer.  The most effort I've exerted since that time was moving my desk like 3ft so that I could watch hulu easier from the couch, pulled myself out of the bathtub (even though i already took a shower this morning), and mixed and baked a cinnamon bread loaf so that I could eat it.  Wow, my accomplishments are astounding.  BUT I did put in time to write to Ellen (YAY!!!!) I'll be on hot stand-by for her phone call, which I'm sure will come in at any moment.  What to wear, what to wear...  Here is what I wrote to her.  Tell me if you think it sounds pathetic enough:

Hi! Danny and I were married just one year ago on April 16th after a whirlwind 8 month romance.  I'm 29 and he's 26.  Since he is a full time student and I just started a new job after looking in our area for 4 months, money wasn't abundant when we started our life together.  We were making ends meet by following a strict budget (which included a much anticipated $30/month for date night!)  I was having knee pain a few months into my new job, but since I finally got health insurance we weren't very worried about it.  After months of pain, many appointments, doctors, and tests, I was diagnosed with lymphoma.  I have a large tumor in my tibia and femur.  No one saw it coming.  I can't do my job on crutches or while enduring the months of chemo ahead of me.  My company is incredible and accomodating, but there is only so much they can do since I have only been there for 6 months.  We are nervous about impending medical bills, a way to keep our house clean enough so I won't get more sick, and just simple things like groceries once I stop working as frequently.  Our story is at http://teamyencich.blogspot.com/.  It includes our list of why it's cool to have cancer and details how much it has affected our life in just a short period.  I'm fun and cute and my husband is a stud!  You should toally have us on.  Thank you!

I also sent in this picture, which I think is my favorite of us:


It was taken right after we decided to start dating, way back in August of 2010.  Of course, it was also only the third time we had ever laid eyes on each other, but some things are just easy.  That choice was.  If you look close, you can see my Canoo in between us named Sharkey - one of my favorite friends that stayed with me from Asheville.

Well, we'll see about Ellen.  I actually have a busy week coming up - church tomorrow morning, and then work tomorrow night and every night after through Wednesday.  SO thankful for work.  Marriott is an incredible company to work for and my fellow associates are a joy to see every day.  We really are like a family and I am so blessed to be there.  The pancake men mentioned above - one of them works with me.  I have been met with kindness and generousity and support at every turn since this whole cancer thing started.  I think I can add that to my list of amazing reasons to get cancer.  I've never felt so loved in my life.

3 comments:

  1. I am going to write to Ellen too about you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. something good comes out of everything I believe that!
    oh, and just look at you two: SO CUTE! Danny once told that was his favorite "Naomi Smile" picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi, you have no reason to know me. My connection through to your blog is through Boats. He posted your blog on his FB page, and shared your story with his friends. So, I came to read your story, and I wanted to leave a message for you. I've sent this along to Ellen as well. I think you and your husband would be great guests on her show.

    If I use it properly, I would concur with Boats words, "Fair Winds and Following Seas" to you in your recovery.

    ReplyDelete