Friday, April 6, 2012

The "C" word and the first time we used it.

Friends - This morning I found out that I have cancer.  Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma to be exact.  This has been the problem with my leg all along.  To catch those up who don't know what's going on, my knee started hurting around Thanksgiving of last year.  It hurt for about a week and then got better.  This happened again in mid-December.  That time, I went to urgent care.  They gave me some medicine and sent me on my way.  At the beginning of January, the pain came back and this time it stayed.  I went back to the doctor, they gave me a steriod shot (thinking it was some sort of inflammation) and referred me to an orthopedic doctor.  There they thought my knee cap was out of line and causing things to rub together the wrong way.  I got a brace and new shoes and more medicine, but by the beginning of March the pain was even more debilitating.  This time Danny and I decided to do everything we could to figure out exactly what was wrong.  We got an MRI which showed a large tumor in my tibia bone, just below my knee.  The bone scan, CT scan, and biopsy happened in quick succession last week and today we got the news.  No one saw it coming.

What we know - the tumor, when biopsy-ed, what very hard which I guess means the majority of it is already dead.  Evidently it grew so quickly that it ran out of blood to "feast" on.  It is completely inside my bone, originating in the marrow.  I will likely go through chemotherapy, although we don't know when it will start or how long it will last.  We have an appointment with an oncologist on Monday. 

We are terrified and sad.  Just 10 days shy of our one year anniversary, Danny and I never thought this would be something we would have to go through together, much less this soon.  I am currently on crutches until further notice, which means I can't do my job.  They have been incredibly accommodating at work and moved me to answering phones in the back, but we don't know how long I will be able to work/keep my medical benefits.  It's frustrating and overwhelming.

We have an incredible family that is a huge support to us.  Our church and our friends in the area have already responded with love and time and financial support.  I am so so thankful to have Danny, who continually covers me with love and patience and kindness.  Without him, I don't know what I would do.  I didn't want to write this to make your day sad or bring more worry into your life.  I just wanted to tell you what is happening and ask you to pray, if that's the sort of thing you do.  We can't bear this burden alone. 

I love you all and thank you for being a beautiful blessing in my life.  Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment